Mac and Cheese is a touchy subject in most homes and this one will even fool the youngest mouths in your life! And it’s more nutritious with the addition of some fun green trees (broccoli)!
1/2 pound gluten free brown rice elbows (Tinkyada brand is best)
- 1-1/2 cups plain, unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk or Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoons tahini
- black pepper to taste
- 1 TBL Brown rice flour
- 1-2 TBL olive oil or Earth Balance (soy free)
- 1 – 2 c. broccoli florets (depending on how much you like)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 tsp. olive oil
Prepare pasta to al dente. While pasta is cooking, heat 2 tsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute garlic until tender. Add broccoli and a splash of water, cover and steam until tender. In the meantime, blend all remaining ingredients together in a blender except for olive oil and brown rice flour. When pasta is done, drain and rinse and set aside.
Over medium heat, add olive oil or Earth Balance to a sauce pan and heat. Add brown rice flour and stir to make a roux. Add sauce mixture and pasta and cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. If sauce is too thick, add more coconut milk, if too thin, add a little more rice flour. Add in cooked broccoli and stir to combine. If the sauce needs a touch more flavor, add more mustard and onion or garlic powder. Top with a dash of smoked paprika and serve immediately!