- in Main Dishes , Recipes by Melissa Costello
- 29 comments
Tony Horton’s Famous Vegan Burritos
Back when I was cooking for fitness guru Tony Horton, creator of the phenomenal workout system P90X and recently his very own fitness platform, Power Nation I had to come up with delicious and simple recipes Tony would love that fit into his health regime.
Tony is someone who walks his talk and at the age of 64 it shows! He is in better shape than anyone I know and the reason is due to his consistency with exercise, food and self-care. Tony also eats a mostly plant-based, whole food diet and calls himself a “Flexitarian.”
This Supreme Vegan Burrito I created for Tony is a staple in his diet, and it’s loaded with nutrients & flavor. The best part is that they are simple to make too!
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, de-seeded & sliced into thin strips
- 1 Yellow bell pepper, de-seeded & sliced into thin strips
- 1 Small red onion, thinly sliced into 1/2 moons
- 1 small Zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 -15oz can organic black beans, or 1-1/2 cups cooked
- 1-15oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder blend
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
- 1 pkg. gluten free brown rice tortillas (Food for Life Brand), or sprouted grain tortillas (Ezekial Brand)
- Extras (optional) Avocado, Tempeh Bacon, Karma Chow Chipotle Cashew Cheese.
Heat 1 TBL of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add peppers & onions and sauté until soft – about 3-5 minutes. Add zucchini, cumin, chili powder and sea salt and continue cooking for 2 more minutes, stirring to incorporate all the spices with the peppers & onions. Add tomatoes and stir to mix. Lower heat and cover, cooking for about 5 minutes until peppers are really soft. Remove from heat. Add beans to pan and stir to incorporate.
Heat tortilla shell over low open flame on stove to soften. Place the tortilla on a flat surface. Spread a very small amount cashew cheese, or cheese of your choice on tortilla. Add 1 scoop of pepper, onion & bean mixture to bottom 1/3 of tortilla. Top with 1 scoop of quinoa or rice. Add avocado (optional) or tempeh bacon and roll it up! (If you are using the Gluten-Free tortillas, it’s best to roll each burrito made to order.)
If you are looking for more amazing, vegan Mexican dishes, check out these additional recipes from Simply Be.