- in Clean in 14 , Cookbook , Main Dishes , Recipes , Snacks & Sides by Melissa Costello
Sweet & Savory Tempeh “Tacos” – Korean Style
These meatless tacos using organic, fermented tempeh, are super simple to make, super delicious to eat and super nutritious too. I serve them up on lettuce leaves, for a lighter bite, but feel free to use traditional (organic) soft corn tortillas. In one word, they are SUPER!
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package (8 ounces) organic tempeh, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 6 Bibb or romaine lettuce leaves
- Avocado slices
Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the crumbled tempeh and sauté until lightly brown, stirring frequently. Meanwhile In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining oil, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, sesame seeds, vinegar, and syrup. Pour the sauce over the tempeh and let the mixture cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the sauce is absorbed into the tempeh. To assemble the tacos, place a spoonful of meat on a lettuce leaf and top with the avocado slices.