- 3/4 c. Tomato Paste 3 TBL Tamari, divided
- 1 TBL dark agave nectar
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 TBL plus 2 tsp garlic, minced and divided
- ¼ c. olive oil, divided
- 1 c. onion, chopped & divided
- 1 c. Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- ½ c. celery, diced
- ½ c. carrot, finely diced
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ¾ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ¾ c. cooked brown rice
- 2 c. cooked French lentils
- 1-1/2 tsp. Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 TBL Arrowroot powder
- ¾ c. gluten free/wheat free breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Cook lentils and brown rice per package directions. Set aside to cool (these can be prepared the day before and stored in the refrigerator overnight)
3. In a small bowl, combine tomato paste, 2 TBL tamari, agave, liquid smoke & 1 TBL garlic. Set aside
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, add 2 TBl olive oil and ½ cup onions. Saute for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for 7 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Add the remaining 2 TBL of olive oil to skillet and sauté the celery, carrots, remaining garlic, salt and pepper over low heat. Cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until veggies are tender.
5. In a food processor, pulse the rice and lentils 10 times. Transfer to a large blow. In the food processor, pulse cooked veggies, Worcestershire sauce, remaining TBL tamari, mustard, arrowroot and 1/3 cup of tomato mixture 10 times. Add to rice & lentil mixture. Fold in reserved sautéed mushrooms & onions, breadcrumbs and ½ cup raw chopped onion. 6. Press half of the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and spread with half of the tomato topping. Then, press the rest of the mixture into the pan, and coat with remaining tomato topping. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes until top is brown. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes before serving.