Honey’d Apricot BBQ Sauce
Slather this sauce on veggie burgers, Portobello mushrooms and vegetable skewers. It’s sweet and tangy, and will have you hooked on first taste.
Buy ripe apricots as they will give this delectable sauce the sweetest flavor. Who needs bottle bbq sauce when you can make your own with fresh fruit?
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or coconut oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 5 medium ripe apricots, pitted and cubed
- 1-28 oz. can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- ¼ cup raw + local honey of choice
- 1 tablespoon Bragg’s
- Sea salt to taste
In a medium sized saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes until onions are soft. Add apricots and a splash of water. Stir to combine and cook down for about 5-7 minutes, until apricots are soft and mushy. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, molasses, honey, Braggs and sea salt. Stir to combine. Turn heat to low and let simmer about 15-20 minutes. Puree using hand blender to desired consistency.