Coconut Yam Soup
- 2 Garnet Yams, peeled & cubes
- 3 large carrots, peeled & dices
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 leek, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, optional
- 2 tsp. Garam Masala (an indian spice)
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 TBS coconut or olive oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- Sea salt & fresh cracked pepper
- Cinnamon & nutmeg for garnish
In a large soup pot over medium heat, saute ginger, garlic, celery, onion & leek in oil until translucent and soft. Add Garam Masala and stir to combine to release the flavor of the spice. Add the carrots, yams and veggie broth. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, turn heat down to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and add coconut milk. Puree soup using a hand blender until thick and creamy. Season with salt & pepper and garnish with a dash of cinnamon & nutmeg!
Variation: Add 1 cup of red lentils to soup while cooking and increase water by 1 cup.